Wednesday 16 November 2011

List of Thriller Poster Conventions

Having looked at a selection of Thriller posters, I have compiled a list of conventions found in a thriller poster.


  • Side Lighting on characters. This can be used to suggest two sides to someone's personality.
  • Muted colour scheme.
  • Characters usually chasing / running.
  • Tagline directly addressing the audience often implying threat.
  • Setting in an urban environment
  • Mise-en-scene associated with the genre. e.g. use of guns
  • The tagline is sometimes a red colour
  • Characters often have an indirect mode of address.
  • Canted framing is often used, to create a sense of unease.
  • Actors that are associated with the genre are used.
  • There is often formal attire.
  • Bold font is used for the title and tagline.
  • High angles to show vulnerability and weakness on certain characters.

This list will help me when creating my poster as I will refer back to it throughout my project.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work Oscar - I am looking forward to seeing these elements in your poster designs/final poster.

    AJM

    ReplyDelete