Friday 30 September 2011

List of Poster Conventions

The research and planning I have been doing about the conventions of a poster have shown me a lot about what a poster should have on it. From the exercise I have compiled a list of conventions, not all of which I will use in my poster, but they will act as a guideline when creating my poster.


Having researched these and other posters, the following conventions appear frequently and I will make sure I will use them in my poster.
  • Images (Stars/Characters, Scenes from the film)
  • Quotations from magazines/newspapers reviews (showing target audience)
  • Taglines
  • Release Date (Sometimes vague e.g. ‘Coming Next Summer’)
  • The title (always the biggest text on poster)
  • Logos of companies involved in making the film
  • Website
  • Reference to source material
  • Images of stars
  • Eye Candy (Male or Female/Explosions/Action)
  • Star Ratings
  • Certificate
  • Merchandise (e.g. soundtrack)
  • Awards and nominations
  • Reference to other films
  • Credits / Billing
  • Sound Logos
  • Director
  • Mise-en-scene (referencing genre)


When creating my poster I will always refer back to this list of conventions.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work Oscar - now have a look at some trailers/teasers.

    AJM

    ReplyDelete